Thursday, September 15, 2011

Amerigo Entry 5

                                                                                                              May 13, 1501-September 7, 1502


          On May 13, 1501, my third voyage set sail for Cape Verde once again.  I left from the Port of Lisbon.  I was joined on this voyage by Gonzal Coelho.  Gonzal is a Spanish explorer.  We are excited to set out on my third voyage and explore the land awaiting us!  King Manual funded this voyage.
          Our first few days at sea were rough.  The waves splashing against the sides of the ship were very loud and distracting.  Also, the ship was rocking back and forth often, which made us extremely seasick.     After about the first week, we got over our sickness' and it was Happy Sailing from then on!
          Finally, we have reached land.  The crew and I are eager to explore further.  We soon discovered the land to be Brazil.  We explored there awhile before moving on.  We also explored Rio de Janeiro.  When we arrived, we found a man sitting on the shore.  His boat had crashed and he had no way to get back to Spain.  His name was Esteban.  We decided to give him a ride home on our ship. 
          On this expedition, I confirmed that the place I had landed on was not part of Asia.  It was a new place that had yet to be mapped.
          I felt that this voyage was very prosperous.  We returned to Spain on September 7, 1502.  We were thanked greatly for transporting Esteban back home to Spain.  He gave me his favorite chicken for a feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment