Friday, September 16, 2011

Amerigo Entry 4

  May 16, 1499-September 1500

        Just a year after I returned to Cadiz from my first voyage, I am setting out on my second voyage.  A total of two people are accompanying me, Alonso de Ojeda and Juan de la Cosa.  We are all eager to see what we will discover.
        We have spent many long nights aboard this ship.  I am hoping for land soon to help lift the crews spirits.  Alonso has been under the weather for about 2 weeks now and that is not helping morale. Happy sailing ahead for Cape Verde.
         Land ho...we have crossed the equator and have landed on the coast of Brazil.  What a wonderful place!  The crew is so excited to be on land.  We will take some time to explore here before we set sail again.  Spirits are high with so many new things around us.
         As we set sail again, along the Guianas, we are optimistic that we will discover more new places.  Alonso and I have gone separate ways in order to reach the Cape Verde Islands.  During the days I am making observations on the currents of the waters we are sailing in.  At night, I am noting Southern Constellations and the Southern Cross.  With each passing day this voyage becomes more successful.  We have now discovered the Amazon River and Cape St. Augustine.  I am amazed at the strength and courage of the crew to continue.  My health has been deteriorating with each passing week.  While we are all happy with the expedition, we are eager to return home for some much needed rest.
          We sailed for home to report or findings to the Medici family. Another long, successful voyage behind us.  I am very ill and looking forward to some time home to recover.  However, I am also eager to start a new search soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment