Saturday, September 17, 2011

Amerigo Entry 3

                                                                                                                      May 10, 1497-October 1498




          Today is May 10, 1497 and I am setting sail on my first voyage to explore the 'new world'.  King Ferdinand, King of Castille, has generously provided the 3 ships we are sailing on.  It is with much excitement that I set sail from the port of Cadiz sailing toward the Fortunate Islands.  From here we will head West.  I am eager to see what new lands are out there.  
           The first night was long and rough.  The waters were churning and the ships bumped and rattled all through the night.  This made the crew and myself very uneasy.  We are hoping to adjust to our new life on the water soon.  
           We have reached land.  We have landed in Guiana and the natives here are receptive to us.  We are going to continue sailing throughout the Gulf of Mexico.  The crew is still restless.  At night we are hearing strange squeaking noises from the ships floors.  We have investigated the noises but this far have discovered no explanation for them.  I have great hope that we find the cause soon.  The noises are making the crew very uneasy.
            Today, the culprit of the noises was uncovered.  There were hundreds of rats living in the lower deck of the ship.  Upon their removal, a sigh of relief was breathed.  I am looking forward to better rest from here on out for myself and my crew.
            We have continued to head north and have reached Cape Hatteras.  What a beautiful sight to see. 
            After  many months at sea, we have returned home.  It is now October of 1498.  I believe this was a successful voyage that led to the discovery of many new lands. It is with much anticipation that I look forward to another voyage very soon.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment